Saturday, August 18, 2007

Look, Ma!

I SEWED!!!!


I am so stinkin proud of myself I could just PIMP. Seriously. Let's rewind.

About 4 years ago, my darling husband went and bought me a second hand sewing machine. I am a firm believer that they don't make household machinery like they used to (ie. dryers, washers, mixers, sewing machines, etc.)...they are meant to break after 3-4 years so you'll buy a new one. This is an old Brother machine from the 70's, and it even had the manual, thank the LORD. AND it was $40. You just can't beat that.

When he bought it, I tried sewing for about 2 minutes and gave up. Haven't touched it since. But today I had another moment of brilliance. My girlfriend had asked me to make an altered paint can for her sister's baby shower gift, and I decided to sew on it!!

Notice the time of my post. It is currently 1:48 am. But that's not totally my fault, I've had a kiddo with a tummy ache...but I digress. I dug everything out of the closet so I could get to my sad lonely machine. I got it out, found the manual and all the paraphernalia, and actually threaded it on the first try! My granny would be so proud...it's kinda like riding a bike!

It really didn't take long before I was sewing the pink & green DP onto the white piece. I was instructed to not be too girly, no bows or sparkle (boo...) so I just matched the colors of her fabric. I cut out the baby's name (BRIA...what an awesome name!) using my Red Tag Alpha & Cuttlebug, painted the letters pink, & mounted them on white Giga Scalloped Rectangles. I used my Cropadile to put in some eyelets, and threaded my white grosgrain through and tied it around the can. Pretty simple!


But then, of course, I gotta make a matching card! I really just wanted to sew some more. So I cut 2 more pieces of DP (I'll list my recipe in the morning too tired now) into 4" x 4" squares and staggered them on a 5 1/8" square piece of Papertrey White Cardstock. Stitched around the edges, and tied a ribbon around. The sentiment is from the Mike's $1 bin, and I stamped it first in Regal Rose and then again in Palette Hybrid Noir, using my Stampamajig to make kind of a drop shadow with the pink. I punched it out with my 2" Marvy circle punch, and glued it onto this ginormous clear button from Bazzil. Stuck the button onto the card and I was all done!

Time for bed now...g'nite!

8 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

A+++++ these are great, love how you did the letters and of course the sewing.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Just GORGEOUS! I LOVE that look, but I don't sew at all, so faux stitching has to suffice for me! LOL You go girl!

Melissa said...

It's perfect Shannan! Way to go!

My Little Hobby said...

It turned out nicely too. Good for you. Sewing on cards is one of my favorites!

AJ said...

Wowee, you are a domestic goddess aren't ya!!!?!~ look at you sew!
Too cute!! Can we get a photo of you sewing in your apron? ;)

Charlene Austin said...

So beautiful. The sewing is perfect! Can't believe that is the first time you sewed in 4 years.

Christi Flores said...

Adorable! I'm getting ideas for my challenge... :)

Colleen Schaan said...

I agree...older machines work better. I just love your paint can and the card is delish!

Awesome!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave me a note!