Sunday, May 20, 2007

Adventures in Donkey Chasing...the true story.

So I teased you with the donkey chasing statement the other day and forgot to finish telling you about it...don't you just hate when that happens?! First, a little background (I'll try to keep the details to a minimum).

Last April my mom found a lump in her left breast. After a lumpectomy and tests, they found that it was lobular carcinoma, and that it had been there for several years. It was just starting to go to the lymph nodes, just barely. Really scary time for us. She ended up having a mastectomy and undergoing chemo, and finished up in December, cancer free! As a precaution, they went ahead and did a mastectomy on her right breast and started the process for reconstruction.

Fast forward to May 2007...mom had her reconstruction done the week before Mother's Day. It was fairly simple but she has had a very difficult time healing and recovering. As I mentioned in my Mother's Day post, they live on several acres and have 2 horses and a donkey. (Really, I'm getting to the story!!)

Since she is still not able to be as active as she would like, they decided to have the animals boarded at a local place for a week or so. On Wed. the people were scheduled to come get the horses first and then come back and get the donkey. I pulled in right behind them, and no one else was at their house. Somehow I got talked into trying to help catch the donkey. I am NOT a horse person by any stretch of the imagination, but I do kind of like the donkey. He's pretty cute, and his name is Sir Louis Sheffield Ba Donk-a-Donk. LOL

I was supposed to be home cooking dinner but instead spent an hour running around the pasture in my work top, jogging pants, and my mom's muck boots (which are like tight rubber rain boots) with 2 carrots in one hand and his brush in the other, trying to get him to hold still long enough for the other lady to get the halter on him. Finally, after much encouragement and not much help from me, they got him loaded and off to greener pastures.

So that's my donkey chasing story. More of a funny mental picture than anything else, but I wanted to share. I'll also share a card I made for a swap last night...so fun! It took me sooo many tries to get this right, but finally it came together, after a little layout inspiration from SCS. I will probably use this one over and over! I used my Best of Cluck set (again!) and colored with Prismacolor pencils and Odorless Mineral Spirits. Added a layer of Chocolate Chip, popped it up over my strip of Basic Grey Stella Ruby paper, added ribbon and brads, and stamped the sentiment in the top right corner with my Stamp-a-majig. I can't stamp a straight sentiment to save my life. LOL Last step was adding Diamond Stickles to the little red chick. Can't do a card without some bling! Hope you like it!
Stamps: Best of Cluck, A Muse Favorite Peeps
Ink: Palette Hybrid Noir, Chocolate Chip
Cardstock: Chocolate Chip, Mellow Moss, Very Vanilla, Basic Grey Stella Ruby
Accessories: Making Memories Brads, SU Ribbon, Pop Dots, Stickles

2 comments:

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

What a funny story! I can just see it! That name cracks me up... you must have a really fun family! The card turned out great... I love the final layout.

Suzy Tyler said...

Hahahahahaha...sorry....am still laughing about the donkey!

Anyhoo....you should submit this card to Papercrafts Mag before the end of the month. They have a need for works with "bling".

TFS your wonderful story!

Hahahahahahahaha

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave me a note!