Friday, April 22, 2011

Small and white...clean and bright...You look happy to meet me...

Happy Friday, y'all!! Boy do I have some good stuff for you today! I am this week's hostess for the Viva la Verve Sketch Challenge in the Splitcoast Forum. My sketch is a fun one, but may require you to put your thinking cap on. I used a technique that I learned back when I started scrapbooking, so I thought I'd share a little tutorial here (so no excuses not to play!!). *wink*


Here's a picture of my finished card using stamps and dies from Verve. Speaking of, there's an Easter Sale going on...check out all the details HERE
Ok, are you ready? Let's go!

I started out with a base layer, which will be hidden. This is a perfect time to use those less-loved colors like Orchid Opulence or Yo-Yo Yellow. Unless you're Carole.


The papers I used are from Basic Grey's Urban Prairie 6x6 pad. I should have bought 10 of these.


If you don't want to use patterned paper, you can also choose coordinating colors of cardstock. This would be fun in rainbow colors!



Instead of sewing between each piece, I sponged the edges. Or you could do both. I absolutely LOVE the Jumbo Sponge Daubers from Tsukineko for sponging.


It's always smart to lay everything out before you glue it all down. Ask me how I know.



The next step is VERY IMPORTANT. If you apply adhesive all the way to the edge of the triangle, you will glue your entire card front to your work table. Ask me how I know.



This is how it looks all glued down. Try not to overlap the edges too much...this makes it bulky.



It's great that you remembered to leave the tips of the triangle adhesive-free. Once you glue everything down, bend 'em up a little. Go ahead, you won't hurt anything!


Then start snipping! I started at the top and worked my way down. Either way, you just want to remove that big bump of triangle points.



Once the center is trimmed, get the outside edges. You could also sand the edges for a cool look. I was too lazy to get up and get the sanding block.


Now your starburst is done, and you can design the rest of your card! 

I added some seam binding colored with Y21 & Y17 Copic markers. I also wanted to do something fun for my "oval" shape, so I cut out two pieces with the Elegant Leaves die and stamped them with the coordinating stamp from Bloom & Grow. To create the flowers, I cut the shapes from the Floral Circles die set from three of the solid colors from the paper pad. I wanted to create some added texture, so I cut layers of white tulle and slipped them in between the crumpled flowers. They are each tied together with a button threaded with Linen thread from The Cats Pajamas.


As a final touch, I added white pieces cut with the Charming Banner die set sponged and layered above the bow. The sentiment is from Faithful Phrases.

Whew, that was a lot! If you're still with me, thank you, and I hope you enjoyed my post. If you want to play along, please visit THIS THREAD for all the details...I would love to see your creations! Have a great weekend!

25 comments:

Linda L said...

Thanks for the tut on how to do the starburst bit Shannan...looks great ....that will help a A LOT.

Jess Willison said...

Love this Shannan! Thanks for the tutorial! I can't wait to try this out!

Debbie Carriere said...

Awesome card!!! Love the colors & layered flowers. Great technique - can't wait to play :)

Dawn Easton said...

Oh I LOVE this, Shannan! FANTASTIC!!! Perfect papers for your starburst! Can't wait for my Verve order to arrive with all those goodies I ordered!
Hope to work on this sketch tonight!!!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

Blossom of snow may you bloom and grow forever... Okay. So this is the weirdest thing! I swear we are psychically connected or something:
1. Last week I wrote to Julee and mentioned 'Edelweiss'
2. Made my first Verve order in several months, and bought my first Verve dies (the leaves and flowers you've used), along with a few sets, etc.
3. And then you shout out at me with this post!

I have too much to do this weekend, but I'm totally playing with your sketch, and I WILL be using my beloved Orchid Opulence and YoYo Yellow!!! Which of course, you will be the recipient of!

LOVE your card and this technique, Steuby. Fabulous! TTYS!

Wanda Cullen said...

The visual tute is so helpful...I'd be running away from this sketch if I didn't have it - lol! Your card is gorgeous! Thanks for the great sketch that will challenge my brain!

Crestajune said...

I love Urban Prairie... and I DID buy 10 of them! =) Thanks for the step-by-step. Going to get started on my card right now... Love this sketch!

Tina said...

Shannon - Your card is fabulous! I love the colors, the flowers, well ... everthing about it! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I used one of the VLV sketches for one of my Easter cards, now I just have to get the other three done so I can get in on the contest! Your tutorial will make this one super simple ... thanks! Love ya!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I love this sketch and I can't wait to try it! Oh...I also love your card(urban Prairie is one of my fav's,too)
Mackie

Jackie Pedro said...

Shannan, I saw this sketch and went running for the hills! OMGoodness.....this is GORGEOUS!!!!! I may have to give it a try! I LOVE how you sponged the edges of the triangle instead of sewing. Did I say Gorgeous?

Melissa said...

Ummm...how do you know?? ;) I LOVE this sketch, Shannan and am SOOO glad you gave us an easy-peasy tutorial to follow 'cause I would have been running for the hills with Jackie without it! Can't wait to play!

Teresa Kline said...

this is stunning girl, I luv the patterns and the design...hope your weekend is fabby friend!

enjoy *~*

Lisa M. (aka. Lisa @ Farm Fresh) said...

Oh! Thanks soooooooo much for this tutorial! I admit I was a bit wary--but I can do this thanks to you breaking it down for me. And that patterend paper is DELICIOUS!

Luanne said...

What wonderful instructions! (I giggled at your ask me how I know comments, I can relate...). Can't wait to give it a whirl!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Gorgeous card...it was hard not to simply recreate this beauty; I am so taken with the colours and design! Thanks for the tutorial...couldn't have done it without you!!

Joanna Wiśniewska said...

Beautiful! Tahnk you for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

thank you for the lovely and different card. It is my personal challenge for
today. mary

Mommie2Quads said...

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. I have seen a lot of these cards and really wanted to create one myself but did not know where to begin. I love your, "Ask me how I know." LOL, cracking up laughing. Thanks for the tutorial and the humor, loved it, I needed to laugh today and you made my day. Thanks again.

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

LOVE this! Thanks for the tutorial. I have a room full of Basic Grey that needs to see the light. I shall work on that in the coming weeks. Or months.

I have to tell you I LOVE your writing. I would sooooo have glued my card front to my table. Totally. :)

Anonymous said...

Thnaks for the tutorial! What a gorgeous card :)

x

Marian said...

I love this style and am so thankful for the tutorial...otherwise I'd have no idea how to do it and I'd be driving myself crazy trying :)
TFS

Christy/Tiddly Inks Digitals said...

LOVEEEE!!!

Lisa Kind said...

Love this tutorial! Such a cool technique! Thanks for sharing! I saved it to my favorites!

Betsye Rose said...

Thank you so much. I just love this sketch. I had to make one myself as soon as I saw it. Actually, I've made 4...the first two I put in the mailbox so quickly I didn't take time to take a picture. That was a few weeks ago...tonight I made a couple more with different pp, and it looks so different!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this! Thank you for the tutorial!! pat K.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave me a note!