Sunday, August 26, 2007

Carpe Diem!!

[Keating is standing on his desk]

John Keating: Why do I stand up here?

Dalton: To feel taller!

John Keating: No! [Dings a bell with his foot]

John Keating: Thank you for playing Mr. Dalton. I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way.



You might recognize the above from the movie Dead Poets Society, which is one of my favorite movies, and the inspiration for this contest.


Your challenge is this: To make a card with a stamp and/or stamps and use them in a way which they were not intended or designed. Hopefully this isn't too confusing, but I sure thought it would be fun!


Here are a few samples to help spark your creativity:


Fancy Florals Butterfly


Lisa Johnson's Faux Lamp Card


Debbie Olson's An Evening to Remember Card


Watering Can (by an 8 year old!!)


Beate's Pick a Petal Ladybug


I have enlisted a group of ladies from an invite only swap group to judge the contest entries, and there will be 3 winners!!


Most creative all-around wins a package of Paper Accents Pearlized White Cardstock!


Best Executed Stamp Transformation wins a 6x6 pad of the new Basic Grey Mellow line, and some matching ribbon!


Best Layout wins the Thoughtful Phrases set from Verve Visual!


You have until Midnight, Central Standard Time on August 31 to email me or post a link to this blog entry with your submission, so get to thinking, people! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

19 comments:

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

I love that movie too! Hmmm. . .I have to think about this challenge! I'll be back! :)

Kacey Elliott said...

Sounds like a fun challenge Shannon! I'll see what I can come up with :-) P.S. I LOVE that movie, so inspirational, especially as an educator!

Alhambra Club said...

What great fun, will most definitely have to put on my thinking cap for this one.

Colleen Schaan said...

What a rockin contest! I am off to go scout out my stamp collection!

Christi Flores said...

I love that movie as well. So inspirational. I have very limited stamps so I'm going to have to be really creative on this one. Thanks for the challenge Shannan!! :)

Anonymous said...

This is a challenge! I wanted to tell you that I really enjoy your site. It's one of my favs right now. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

sounds like so much fun, shannan! i'm off to be inspired!

Dana said...

Ok, you've got me thinking now Shannan! I'll be back.

Libby Hickson said...

Hi Shannan, fyi I'm working on one!!! I'm not sure it will turn out as I'm imagining, but it's fun to try anyway... what a cool challenge!!! Plus as soon as you started quoting Dead Poet's Society, you completely sucked me in... :-)

AJ said...

Fingers crossed I have time to join in and play!!

Christi Flores said...

Whew! That was hard! Here is my submission: http://cici510.blogspot.com/2007/08/shannans-carpe-diem-challenge.html

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if this should count or not. I did this on the same day you posted your challenge but officially I did not see your challenge until after it was already created and posted on my blog. HMMM, maybe it was telepathy! Anyway mine is in the link above.

Allison Rankin said...

Hi Shannan...here's my effort: http://stampinwhenican.blogspot.com/2007/08/card-for-shannans-challenge.html.

Thanks for the challenge!

Betty said...

Awesome cards and challenge!! Here's 2 I made. The far left one is a orchid the one on the right is an stamped image underneath and I layer it with embellishment on top to create the flower.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb67/hipscrappermom/normal_IMG7E0.jpg

Cheryl KVD said...

Hello! In this layout, I put a rubber stamp into molten embossing powder to create a flower image, which is located on the tag. Click on the photo for a close up.
http://cakvd2.blogspot.com/2007/06/cherub.html

Thanks!!
Cheryl KVD

Libby Hickson said...

Ok I played! Here's mine:

Libby's Snowflake

Kacey Elliott said...

Yeah! I finished! Some really great designs here! Here is mine. Enjoy!http://kaceyelliottallinadayswork.blogspot.com/2007/08/do-you-see-what-i-see.html

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Hi Shannan! I know I'm too late for the contest deadline, but I really did want do participate in your challenge. . .contest or not! Here's my card: http://oodabugalley.blogspot.com/2007/09/shannans-carpe-diem-contest.html

Steelydawn said...

I had tons of fun making the card for this challenge. It's so much fun reading your blogs!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave me a note!